The Palace of Count Agüera
This building is also known as the Palace of Valdecarzana. It is a Manorial House from the Cañedo Vélez family, Counts of Agüera and dates from the 18th century. The complex is composed of the Palace, a small garden with an exterior chapel, a fountain and a raised granary typical of the area called a Horreo.
The palace has a rectangular floor plan and two levels with a small courtyard at the back where there once were stables and the exterior chapel which has several sarcophagi that were exhumed during the Civil War.
What stands out about this Palace is the excellent state of conservation and the splendid surroundings. This construction is catalogued as a house-fort and at the time, it was a property from the house of Miranda that was rebuilt over an old fortress.
The hollows of the Palace are rectangular with different sizes and distribution. The shield of the Cañedo family stands proudly on the front door. In the interior, there is a central courtyard and on the first floor, a wooden gallery. The lateral protrusions are asymmetric and respectful of the buildings length and the windows which are rectangular, similar to the door. They are also irregular in size and distribution.
The towers have doors completed with a segmented arch and beside the raised windows there are shields with the coat of arms of the Miranda, Bernardo de Quirós, Argüelles, Sierra and Cañedo families.
Agüera, the location of this Palace, was once the capital of a Constitutional Council, independent of the council of Grado, which was formed by the parishes of Pereda and Rodiles in 1813. It is 5 kilometers away from the village of Grado which connects through the AS-311 road on the way to Tameza.