Iglesia San Pedro inglés - ayto-grado
SAINT PETER´S PARISH CHURCH
This is an eclectically styled building with elements inspired by Romanic and gothic styles and designed by the Gijon architect, Lucas María Palacios. It was built in 1884 and opened to the congregation in 1890. It is noted for its monumental character and the excellence of the materials used for the construction, especially the cut stone.
The church has three naves, transept and triple straight chancel. The main façade is flanked by a double belfry tower with spires of zinc scales. The entrance ascends to a semi-circular arch, an emblem of its patron with an inscription and a superior oculus.
The interior is covered with groined vaults except for the transept where a fake cupola of eight segments covers an octagonal dome. The hollows are closed with an ensemble of leaded glass windows that were replaced after the Civil War.
The church maintains some of its original furnishings such as a series of altarpieces with sculptures: the main one was designed by El Rio House in Oviedo and was donated by D. Manuel Longoria and Cuervo, the side pieces by D. Carlos González and D. Manuel Longoria, of which only one remains and the Purísima Concepción, donated by D. Martín González del Valle, the first Marquis of Vega de Anzo, in memory of his first wife Dña Julita.
The church was set on fire during the Civil War causing extensive damage and the collapsed left tower was rebuilt after the war ended.