Villa Granda Ingles - ayto-grado
This construction, built in 1882, has an eclectic style as denoted by the inscription situated on the central lintel of the noble’s level. It was ordered to be built by the “Indiano” D. Juan Granda, an emigrant who managed a tobacco plantation in Cuba.
D. Juan was married to the daughter of the Consul of Spain in La Habana who bore him a son. On the event of becoming a widower, he decided to return to Spain and to his town of birth, Grado, where he built Villa Granda.
The building is enclosed by a wrought iron fence in which we can see the owner´s initials. The building has not undergone any modifications since its inauguration in 1898.
The construction has a rectangular floor plan with two levels. It has a pronounced central body with three floors that stands above the rest of the edifice placing an ascendant to the building access door and two balconies; one per floor boasting a cantilevered parapet.
The rest of the walls pass through lintelled hollows placed in a symmetric way, windows on the first floor and leveled balconies on the second. All the walls are of ashlar except the rear wall, which supports the characteristic wooden gallery.
It seems that all of the ashlars are numbered and a guided plan exists on how to put them back in the same position in case one decides to move the building from its current location.