The village of Grado was founded at mid-13th Century, when King Alphonse X, the Wise, granted the Town Charter to its inhabitants allowing for the foundation of this urban settlement in the itinerary of the Camino de Santiago (The Way of Saint James). The most representative element to emerge from the town’s development was the construction of a Wall performing both defensive and fiscal duties with the charging of a toll for the access of goods and services.
The Wall of Grado is half a metre thick and seven metres high and has fulfilled its defensive duties during several occasions throughout history. In 1308 it protected the inhabitants when the Count Gonzalo Peláez de Coalla burnt the village outside the wall with the intention of breaking the territorial laws.
During the war of Independence, the wall defended both invaders and inhabitants following many conquests and reconquests of the village. Finally it was ordered to be demolished in 1812 fearing a new occupation by the French.
From the original wall there remains nothing more than this painting situating it at the fluvial terrace of the river Cubia. The north façade of the Palace Miranda-Valdecarzana and the dividing wall of the City Council were built on top the town wall.